Skip to main content

Photographic clarity versus manipulated images

A young girl plays amongst the pillars at the King's Galleries, Ostend, Belgium.

Strong simple clear composition, clean colours, sharpness and good exposure are all elements of something that I call 'photographic clarity'. Good capture techniques and fine tuning in an image editing program will deliver professional results.

More than enough has been written in magazines, books and online to provide everyone with all the information required to produce the highest quality results. So why do we see so many unsharp, strangely manipulated, grungy and distorted images? I think that in a way history is repeating itself.

We have entered a new era of pictorialism and photographic enthusiasts have fallen in love with digital filters, effects and the heavy manipulations offered by image editing programs. Open most pages on a site like Flickr and you will see images dotted about that are unclear, weirdly coloured, 'over hyped' and distorted. And yes I have done my fair share of these too.

However, here's something to bear in mind for any budding professional photographer or amateur that wants to earn some extra cash. The market for 'pictorialist' images is very small - perhaps some fine art galleries. Even most of the photographic collectors I know prefer 'real' photographs. Advertising agencies, magazines, calendar and greeting cards manufactures all want high quality, clean, clear images ie photographic clarity.

If you want to see for yourself, just visit some stock library websites, or take a look at adverts in a magazine. Muddy colours, heavy vignetting, bad HDR, unsharpness etc just don't do it anywhere except on social photography sites where everyone seems to be intent on applying the latest digital filter/effect that's in fashion.

Personally I'm a bit bored with seeing all the heavily manipulated stuff. Give me good, honest straightforward photographic clarity every time.

Cheers,
Paul
www.indigo2photography.co.uk

Comments

Anonymous said…
Paul, I love this picture! It is striking.

There is much to be said about getting out there and going to the places at which you are likely to find the magic moment when all the elements converge to produce such a striking subject.

Bravo!

Bill Gatesman
www.wmgphoto.com
www.wmgphotoblog.com
Chris Shepherd said…
Well said Paul. My personal bug-bear is images with the "HDR look" that look like a cartoonist, rather than a photographer has created them. I thought the point of HDR was to render more reality..not less!
Anonymous said…
A very thoughtful article. Thanks
Anonymous said…
yes!! that's the difference between phototography and photoshopgraphy

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming creative block and self doubt

Every photographer, for that matter every creative, I've ever met comes to a point when they're not happy with the work they're producing. The pendulum between creative highs and dry spells swings continuously. For some the cycle is long and the bouts are quite mild for others the feeling of doubt about their work can be a crushing experience which returns all to frequently. It's actually quite healthy to have these periods of doubt because it can often be the beginning of something new and interesting which takes you further than you thought possible. Creatives in the commercial world have to always perform and although they may agree looking back that they've had a few patches where their work was less good, they always seem to bounce back. A very few creative geniuses deliver such high quality work that their poorest attempts still surpass the rest of us. But I have never heard of anyone, from tortured soul of Van Gogh to the supreme showman and genius, Salvador ...

What You Photograph Reveals How You Think

  Photography is often described as a way of seeing. Less often do we talk about it as a way of thinking. What you choose to photograph, and just as importantly what you ignore, quietly mirrors how your mind works. Some photographers are drawn to faces, micro-expressions, emotional spikes. Others chase atmosphere, light, mood. Then there are those who gravitate towards structure, systems, order, the invisible logic holding a scene together. None of this is accidental. The camera becomes a sorting tool. It reveals what your brain prioritises. Where others see chaos, you might see alignment. Where some look for drama, you look for balance. Geometry, repetition, flow, layers, these aren’t just visual preferences, they’re cognitive ones. Strong graphic images tend to come from people who think spatially. Who notice how things relate before they notice what they mean. Lines before labels. Structure before story. And yet, the best images rarely stop there. They gain depth when human pres...

Why do you take photographs?

Have you ever asked yourself why you photograph? It's a question that can be answered with a simple one-sentence answer until you start delving deeper. The answer then becomes increasingly complex and challenging to unravel. I've again undertaken this journey recently, and my answer is below. Portrait of Paul Indigo by Magda Indigo. Thanks Magda! I also reviewed my images over the last ten-plus years, selected 30 of my favourite photos, and compiled them into a slide show. This was a challenging task. My favourites change by the day, probably by the minute. Still, eventually, I got to a selection I titled "That's Life." Please click through to YouTube to view the full screen. My approach to people and landscape photography is characterised by a distinctive blend of documentary and fine art techniques. I aim to create images that are both deeply personal and universally relatable. Through portraiture, I strive to showcase the broad spectrum of human experience. I a...