Skip to main content

There are two types of photographers

Spurn Point lighthouse. Please click on the image to see the larger version.

There are two fundamentally different approaches to photography. Identifying which type of photographer you are could help you focus your approach and remove inner creative conflicts that you were not even aware of.

You have to ask yourself whether you prefer observing and capturing what you see happening in front of your lens or do you prefer to control your subject matter and direct the action to produce the result you envisage?

Once you decide which type of photography best suits your temperament, creative approach and mindset you can focus your energy on playing to your strengths. Don't struggle against your nature. Go with it.

The split between the two fundamental approaches is of course as old as photography itself. On one side we have the photojournalists, documentary photographers, street photographers and landscape photographers out to capture that special moment. And on the other side we have commercial, studio, advertising, editorial and artist photographers seeking to control every aspect of the final image.

Of course you have a complete spectrum of photographers who do both but I think everyone, if they honestly examine themselves, will ultimately have a preference for one side or the other.

You should acknowledge which side your heart is on and then turn that into your strength. However there is a proviso. By exploring the other side and using the knowledge you gain you can enhance your photography. For example a photojournalist can benefit from using a bit of off-camera flash to improve the image or an advertising photographer can get something new and fresh by allowing an element of spontaneity on a photo shoot.

The above covers capturing the image. Post production using software or in the darkroom is a different realm. There everyone tries to get their image to radiate quality and beauty.

So have you decided which type of photographer you are? Remove the clutter and frustration from your creative process. Do what you want to do, recognise where your creative strength lies, and make every image better than the last one.

I hope that if you feel in conflict with yourself when you read this article you will feel a weight lifting from your shoulders and you will be liberated to pursue your authentic creative vision with renewed passion.

Till soon,

Paul

Comments

Anonymous said…
My favorite subjects, in no particular order, are food, sports, concerts, cars, and kids.

Based on those subjects (and the fact that I cover weddings too), I don't think you can put me squarely into one type or the other.

I have to admit though that I'm probably more of the contol-freak than a true photojournalist.
rhitchcock said…
Great point! I am interested to learn more of you view and ideas. I am writing a blog to help determine "what your photography says about you". I've searched the internet and can't find anything that would help except for your blog. Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming creative block and self doubt

Every photographer, for that matter every creative, I've ever met comes to a point when they're not happy with the work they're producing. The pendulum between creative highs and dry spells swings continuously. For some the cycle is long and the bouts are quite mild for others the feeling of doubt about their work can be a crushing experience which returns all to frequently. It's actually quite healthy to have these periods of doubt because it can often be the beginning of something new and interesting which takes you further than you thought possible. Creatives in the commercial world have to always perform and although they may agree looking back that they've had a few patches where their work was less good, they always seem to bounce back. A very few creative geniuses deliver such high quality work that their poorest attempts still surpass the rest of us. But I have never heard of anyone, from tortured soul of Van Gogh to the supreme showman and genius, Salvador ...

What You Photograph Reveals How You Think

  Photography is often described as a way of seeing. Less often do we talk about it as a way of thinking. What you choose to photograph, and just as importantly what you ignore, quietly mirrors how your mind works. Some photographers are drawn to faces, micro-expressions, emotional spikes. Others chase atmosphere, light, mood. Then there are those who gravitate towards structure, systems, order, the invisible logic holding a scene together. None of this is accidental. The camera becomes a sorting tool. It reveals what your brain prioritises. Where others see chaos, you might see alignment. Where some look for drama, you look for balance. Geometry, repetition, flow, layers, these aren’t just visual preferences, they’re cognitive ones. Strong graphic images tend to come from people who think spatially. Who notice how things relate before they notice what they mean. Lines before labels. Structure before story. And yet, the best images rarely stop there. They gain depth when human pres...

Why do you take photographs?

Have you ever asked yourself why you photograph? It's a question that can be answered with a simple one-sentence answer until you start delving deeper. The answer then becomes increasingly complex and challenging to unravel. I've again undertaken this journey recently, and my answer is below. Portrait of Paul Indigo by Magda Indigo. Thanks Magda! I also reviewed my images over the last ten-plus years, selected 30 of my favourite photos, and compiled them into a slide show. This was a challenging task. My favourites change by the day, probably by the minute. Still, eventually, I got to a selection I titled "That's Life." Please click through to YouTube to view the full screen. My approach to people and landscape photography is characterised by a distinctive blend of documentary and fine art techniques. I aim to create images that are both deeply personal and universally relatable. Through portraiture, I strive to showcase the broad spectrum of human experience. I a...