Skip to main content

Brief review of Jill Coleman and busy times for me

Busy times indeed. My work is now being represented and sold through IRISF64, which is a great site. Do visit. Besides my stuff which I've just started uploading there are a number of other very talented and interesting photographers representing a vaste range of different styles.

Among them is one of my favourite photographers, and a friend, Jill Coleman. Her black and white portraits are powerful and striking. They cannot fail to move the viewer. She captures her subjects in moments when although they are clearly aware of the photographer they have let their guard down to reveal themselves to Jill and to us, through her images. I highly recommend taking a look at her wonderful work.

I'm also doing more and more portrait photography and thoroughly enjoying it. Again and again I am struck by how important light is and the absolute control of it in the making of an outstanding image. If there was one thing I would advise other photographers to really think about then it is the quality of the light. If you want to see natural light being used effectively do take a moment to view Jill's images.

And as always I would appreciate hearing from you. Please visit my latest online exhibition on www.indigo2photography.co.uk

Cheers,
Paul

Comments

Anonymous said…
i'm agree with ur statement bout Jill Coleman,"Her black and white portraits are powerful and striking.'

i saw her work, very..very..very good photo. wowwww!!

People must see Jill Coleman photos!

thanks
frinodoc.multiply.com

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming creative block and self doubt

Every photographer, for that matter every creative, I've ever met comes to a point when they're not happy with the work they're producing. The pendulum between creative highs and dry spells swings continuously. For some the cycle is long and the bouts are quite mild for others the feeling of doubt about their work can be a crushing experience which returns all to frequently. It's actually quite healthy to have these periods of doubt because it can often be the beginning of something new and interesting which takes you further than you thought possible. Creatives in the commercial world have to always perform and although they may agree looking back that they've had a few patches where their work was less good, they always seem to bounce back. A very few creative geniuses deliver such high quality work that their poorest attempts still surpass the rest of us. But I have never heard of anyone, from tortured soul of Van Gogh to the supreme showman and genius, Salvador ...

What You Photograph Reveals How You Think

  Photography is often described as a way of seeing. Less often do we talk about it as a way of thinking. What you choose to photograph, and just as importantly what you ignore, quietly mirrors how your mind works. Some photographers are drawn to faces, micro-expressions, emotional spikes. Others chase atmosphere, light, mood. Then there are those who gravitate towards structure, systems, order, the invisible logic holding a scene together. None of this is accidental. The camera becomes a sorting tool. It reveals what your brain prioritises. Where others see chaos, you might see alignment. Where some look for drama, you look for balance. Geometry, repetition, flow, layers, these aren’t just visual preferences, they’re cognitive ones. Strong graphic images tend to come from people who think spatially. Who notice how things relate before they notice what they mean. Lines before labels. Structure before story. And yet, the best images rarely stop there. They gain depth when human pres...

Why do you take photographs?

Have you ever asked yourself why you photograph? It's a question that can be answered with a simple one-sentence answer until you start delving deeper. The answer then becomes increasingly complex and challenging to unravel. I've again undertaken this journey recently, and my answer is below. Portrait of Paul Indigo by Magda Indigo. Thanks Magda! I also reviewed my images over the last ten-plus years, selected 30 of my favourite photos, and compiled them into a slide show. This was a challenging task. My favourites change by the day, probably by the minute. Still, eventually, I got to a selection I titled "That's Life." Please click through to YouTube to view the full screen. My approach to people and landscape photography is characterised by a distinctive blend of documentary and fine art techniques. I aim to create images that are both deeply personal and universally relatable. Through portraiture, I strive to showcase the broad spectrum of human experience. I a...