Skip to main content

Capture the action

Think of an image that really means something to you. Not just an image that is pleasing to look at and contemplate but something that really touches you. I bet the image tells a story. It may not be the most brilliantly realised picture in terms of technique, nor perhaps the perfect composition but something about it touches your emotions and moves you deeply.

In our world of over-hype the sheer volume of images that crash against our conciousness every waking minute is overwhelming. It's incredibly refreshing to reach over and look at the snapshot of a loved one, a favourite memory, perhaps something that makes you smile or evokes your empathy.

I find myself tremendously attracted to photojournalism again. Good 'old fashioned' story telling pictures that reveal the human condition and that go beyond the all too common overmanipulated and Photoshoped to death kitch view of a reality that does not exist outside cleverly enhanced pixels.

Of course digital and darkroom manipulation can work but they should only be put to use to enhance meaning, to reveal, rather than to mask reality. Every element in a picture should be there to help tell the story.

Below, a moment captured in Ostend when everyone and their dog was out dicing with the huge waves crashing against the promenade. Many people over the years have lost this game and been swept away. Happily these two and their dog made it and I was in the right place at the right time to capture the moment.

 Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming creative block and self doubt

Every photographer, for that matter every creative, I've ever met comes to a point when they're not happy with the work they're producing. The pendulum between creative highs and dry spells swings continuously. For some the cycle is long and the bouts are quite mild for others the feeling of doubt about their work can be a crushing experience which returns all to frequently. It's actually quite healthy to have these periods of doubt because it can often be the beginning of something new and interesting which takes you further than you thought possible. Creatives in the commercial world have to always perform and although they may agree looking back that they've had a few patches where their work was less good, they always seem to bounce back. A very few creative geniuses deliver such high quality work that their poorest attempts still surpass the rest of us. But I have never heard of anyone, from tortured soul of Van Gogh to the supreme showman and genius, Salvador ...

What You Photograph Reveals How You Think

  Photography is often described as a way of seeing. Less often do we talk about it as a way of thinking. What you choose to photograph, and just as importantly what you ignore, quietly mirrors how your mind works. Some photographers are drawn to faces, micro-expressions, emotional spikes. Others chase atmosphere, light, mood. Then there are those who gravitate towards structure, systems, order, the invisible logic holding a scene together. None of this is accidental. The camera becomes a sorting tool. It reveals what your brain prioritises. Where others see chaos, you might see alignment. Where some look for drama, you look for balance. Geometry, repetition, flow, layers, these aren’t just visual preferences, they’re cognitive ones. Strong graphic images tend to come from people who think spatially. Who notice how things relate before they notice what they mean. Lines before labels. Structure before story. And yet, the best images rarely stop there. They gain depth when human pres...

Why do you take photographs?

Have you ever asked yourself why you photograph? It's a question that can be answered with a simple one-sentence answer until you start delving deeper. The answer then becomes increasingly complex and challenging to unravel. I've again undertaken this journey recently, and my answer is below. Portrait of Paul Indigo by Magda Indigo. Thanks Magda! I also reviewed my images over the last ten-plus years, selected 30 of my favourite photos, and compiled them into a slide show. This was a challenging task. My favourites change by the day, probably by the minute. Still, eventually, I got to a selection I titled "That's Life." Please click through to YouTube to view the full screen. My approach to people and landscape photography is characterised by a distinctive blend of documentary and fine art techniques. I aim to create images that are both deeply personal and universally relatable. Through portraiture, I strive to showcase the broad spectrum of human experience. I a...