Skip to main content

Top tips for photographing events

Here are some of my tips for photographing people at evening events like balls, parties and gatherings.

Top tips are:
  • Make sure all your equipment is in perfect order
  • Take a backup camera if you can
  • Test your flash beforehand and do a few shots in similar lighting conditions to check that all the settings are right.
  • Remember if you're shooting digitally and relying on flash to set the white balance for flash/daylight not auto
  • When photographing get people's attention and get them to look at the lense. Be assertive. Don't be afraid to ask them to pose for more than one shot but remember you also can't keep them hanging on waiting for you.
  • Get everything set, then go in and take the shot as quickly as you can, 30 seconds per shot.
  • Try some innovative angles. Stand on a chair or shoot down from a stage or whatever is available
  • It is really important to watch your backgrounds. Keep them clean. Avoid light sources in the background that can be distracting
  • Have fun. If you look like you're relaxed and enjoying yourself it will put your subjects at ease.
  • Use a high enough aperture to ensure that people in the foreground of the group are as sharp as those at the back - typically f8, but depends on the focal length of your lense.
I hope the above helps. If you can think of something else that should be added, please email me by clicking on my name (mailto link). Thanks.

Paul Indigo

Comments

Azhar said…
That's some nice advice, I'm doing one of my first shoots tomorrow, my spare battery didn't arrive so Im taking my charger and extension cord, but I think my battery will last.
thanks for sharing! visit me sometime, I'm Azhar : 15 year old amateur photography, thedailysunrise.com

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming creative block and self doubt

Every photographer, for that matter every creative, I've ever met comes to a point when they're not happy with the work they're producing. The pendulum between creative highs and dry spells swings continuously. For some the cycle is long and the bouts are quite mild for others the feeling of doubt about their work can be a crushing experience which returns all to frequently. It's actually quite healthy to have these periods of doubt because it can often be the beginning of something new and interesting which takes you further than you thought possible. Creatives in the commercial world have to always perform and although they may agree looking back that they've had a few patches where their work was less good, they always seem to bounce back. A very few creative geniuses deliver such high quality work that their poorest attempts still surpass the rest of us. But I have never heard of anyone, from tortured soul of Van Gogh to the supreme showman and genius, Salvador ...

What You Photograph Reveals How You Think

  Photography is often described as a way of seeing. Less often do we talk about it as a way of thinking. What you choose to photograph, and just as importantly what you ignore, quietly mirrors how your mind works. Some photographers are drawn to faces, micro-expressions, emotional spikes. Others chase atmosphere, light, mood. Then there are those who gravitate towards structure, systems, order, the invisible logic holding a scene together. None of this is accidental. The camera becomes a sorting tool. It reveals what your brain prioritises. Where others see chaos, you might see alignment. Where some look for drama, you look for balance. Geometry, repetition, flow, layers, these aren’t just visual preferences, they’re cognitive ones. Strong graphic images tend to come from people who think spatially. Who notice how things relate before they notice what they mean. Lines before labels. Structure before story. And yet, the best images rarely stop there. They gain depth when human pres...

Why do you take photographs?

Have you ever asked yourself why you photograph? It's a question that can be answered with a simple one-sentence answer until you start delving deeper. The answer then becomes increasingly complex and challenging to unravel. I've again undertaken this journey recently, and my answer is below. Portrait of Paul Indigo by Magda Indigo. Thanks Magda! I also reviewed my images over the last ten-plus years, selected 30 of my favourite photos, and compiled them into a slide show. This was a challenging task. My favourites change by the day, probably by the minute. Still, eventually, I got to a selection I titled "That's Life." Please click through to YouTube to view the full screen. My approach to people and landscape photography is characterised by a distinctive blend of documentary and fine art techniques. I aim to create images that are both deeply personal and universally relatable. Through portraiture, I strive to showcase the broad spectrum of human experience. I a...